Happy New Year! With 2019 in full swing, you’ve probably thought of some resolutions to implement throughout the year. While exercising and saving money are probably top on your list, we’d like to encourage you to set skin goals this year!
Here are 5 skin resolutions we suggest you make in 2019:
1. Wash your face every night before bed- If this isn’t part of your bedtime routine, consider adding it now! Maybe you’ve had a late night out on the town and cannot wait to go to sleep. Putting off washing your face until the morning isn’t going to kill you, right? You’re right, it’s not; but it will allow time for dirt, grime, and your leftover makeup to set into your skin and clog your pores, which can lead to skin irritation and breakouts. We know it adds an extra step before getting in your warm, comfy bed, but your face will thank you later.
2. Cut that picking habit- This includes pimples, blackheads, and scabs! As tempting, and satisfying to some, as it can be, this is one resolution that you’ll be happy you made in the long run. Picking at blemishes can lead to long-term scarring, and scars are far harder to get rid of in the end. While keeping your hands off completely is the ideal solution, we know the urge is hard to control. Some other ways to avoid picking at your skin include covering the spot with a bandage (if already scabbed over) or applying spot treatment to the blemish. This will eliminate the spot quickly, while also reducing redness and inflammation!
3. Schedule yearly skin exams- As mentioned previously in our blog, it is best practices to have an annual skin exam with your dermatologist. Just as you see an optometrist for annual eye checks or an audiologist for hearing checks, seeing a dermatologist ensures nothing on your skin goes unchecked. Contact us to get something on the calendar for 2019!
4. Wear sunscreen regularly- While you may remember to always apply sunscreen during the heat of the summer, sunscreen should actually be applied year-round whenever you will be spending time outside in the sun. Whether you are riding the waves at the beach during summer, playing in the leaves during fall, or shredding the snow-capped slopes in winter, UV rays are always present, even when lurking behind clouds. We suggest applying sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher whenever you will be spending ample amount of time outside, so your skin will always be protected from harmful rays!
5. Drink more water- Sure, you’ve heard all the fitness gurus talk about the importance of drinking water, but how does chugging all that water benefit your skin? Remember, your skin is an organ which is made up of skin cells. When skin cells are lost throughout the day, water helps to replenish to avoid dry, tight, flaky skin. So grab a jug or buy a funky tumbler to keep by your desk at work, bedside at home, or on your desk for school as a reminder to sip throughout the entire day. You’ll be sure to notice a difference in your skin!
There you have it! Five different skin resolutions you can start implementing NOW for 2019! If you have more specific skin goals you’d like to reach for the new year, please feel free to give us a call. We’d love to help make 2019 your best skin year yet!